• Home
  • Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program

Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program

This Request for Proposals (RFP) targets projects in multi-unit residential buildings, workplaces and for light-duty vehicle fleets only. In order to adjust to the current situation related to COVID-19, the RFP has been extended and is now open for applicants until June 11, 2020 (23:59 Eastern Time). NRCan will target having funding decisions by August 2020.

Eligible Recipients:
Legal entities validly incorporated or registered in Canada including not-for-profit and for-profit organizations such as:

+ Electricity or gas utilities
+ Companies
+ Industry associations
+ Research associations
+ Standards organizations
+ Indigenous and community groups
+ Academic institutions
+ Provincial, territorial, regional or municipal governments or their departments or agencies where applicable

International legal entities validly incorporated or registered abroad including for-profit and not-for-profit organizations such as:

+ Companies
+ Industry associations
+ Research associations
+ Standards organizations
+ Academic institutions

Eligible Projects:
In order to be considered for funding, the Project must meet the following requirements:

+ Increase localized charging or hydrogen refuelling opportunities in MURBs, workplaces or for light-duty vehicle fleets in accordance to the definitions found in Section 1.1 of the Applicant’s Guide;
+ Include a minimum of 20 EV chargers. For Level 2 chargers, each connector can count as a unit towards the minimum of 20 chargers if each connector can charge a vehicle at the same time.
++ Other proprietary connector types may represent a maximum of 75% of all charging connectors installed at the same project site. The remaining balance (25% or more) must be universal charging connectors (J1772, J1772 Combo, and CHAdeMO) of the same category (i.e. Level 2 or fast-charger );
+ For hydrogen refuelling infrastructure projects, the station must be capable of dispensing hydrogen at 700 bar minimum.
+ The work performed must be in compliance with all applicable local codes (for example, building and electrical) and bylaws (for example, zoning and parking);
+ Assuming funding decisions (letters of conditional approval) will be released in August 2020, the project timeline must show completion within 18 months for charging infrastructure and within 24 months for hydrogen refuelling infrastructure. Applicants of successful projects will have six (6) months after the date of the letter of conditional approval to sign a contribution agreement.

At the proposal stage, the Applicants must:

+ demonstrate at least 50% of secured funding (firm) of their share of the total project costs;
for EV charger projects that increase the electrical load by more than 50kW , demonstrate that the utility has been engaged and is aware of your project.
+ demonstrate that they own the lands, have access to the lands or have the capacity to obtain access to the site where the project will be built as well as the authority to build infrastructure for the intended use.

Eligible technologies:
In order to be considered for funding, the projects must:

+ Be located in Canada;
+ Be a permanent installation (mounted or fixed models);
+ Be new and purchased equipment (not leased);
+ Be for a new installation or expansion of an existing installation (not for the replacement of an existing installation);
+ Be certified for use in Canada (e.g. CSA, UL, Interlink) and be commercially available;
+ For electric vehicle charging infrastructure projects, include a minimum of 20 of the following charging connector types:
++ SAE J1772 standard plug head (Level 2 (208/240 V)
++ SAE J1772 Combo (for fast-chargers )
++ CHAdeMO (for fast-chargers )
++ Other proprietary charging connector types (maximum of 75% of all connectors for each site)
++ Be connected as defined in Section 1.1.1 of the Applicant’s Guide;
+ For hydrogen refuelling projects, the station must be capable of dispensing hydrogen at 700 bar minimum.


More details are available on the Program's page